Monday, March 19, 2012

Arch-Nemesis

Yesterday afternoon, I was sitting on the couch minding my own business, when suddenly there was a buzzing sound in the window behind me. I assumed it was one of those big, fat spring flies that gets in the house, concusses against the window in a futile escape attempt and dies. I didn't even look to see it. I just kept pinning. Pretty garden pictures, make your own limoncello, DIY wasp trap, mini soup-can cakes.

Today, I heard it again, and turned around to see. It was not a fly. It was a yellow jacket.

Yellow jackets are one of the few bugs that scare me. I hate them. I rolled up a magazine to smoosh it on the window, but it kept moving into the blinds. I didn't want to squish it in the blinds, because they are awful to clean. So I remembered the DIY wasp trap and made a makeshift one out of a wine bottle.

The dang yellow jacket has been sitting on the outside of the trap for the last three hours.

Which leads me to believe that it is, in fact, not a yellow jacket, but a tracker jacker sent to make me crazy and then kill me mercilessly. So I named him Jack. And we taunt one another while I wait for him to crawl into the darn wine bottle filled with delicious wasp-enticing juice and he waits for me to slowly go insane. He might be winning.

1 comment:

  1. I only get the tracker jacket because I read the book today (all of it)(it was a glorious afternoon)
    Loved the post from the other day about being a robot.

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete