Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Spanish class is (almost) always appropriate.

High school students can make almost anything sound dirty. It's a real battle to keep blush-worthy items out of the classroom, and I have to repeat the phrase, "Spanish class is always appropriate," at least four times a week. I learned pretty quickly to avoid saying things like, "This test is longer and harder than the last one, so make sure to study," because of the snorts of laughter from two or three corners of the room. Snigger, longer and harder, he he he. I'm usually pretty good at thinking about what I say beforehand, scanning the phraseology with my Will-Teenagers-Twist-This-To-Be-Sexual filter, and rewording as necessary. This is a very specific skill that high school teachers develop.

This last week, however, my filter has turned out to be faulty.

How else can I explain saying things like, "Show your Peter to your neighbor" or "There are no double D's in Spanish." OUT LOUD. IN FRONT OF STUDENTS. I must be going insane.

For my curious friends, the context: Peter was the name of a monster they drew as I explained what he looked like in Spanish to practice body part vocabulary. Spanish words don't have two letter d's in a row.

Any advice for fixing the filter? I don't know how much more I can take.

2 comments:

  1. hahaha...funny!!! i would be awful at this so sorry, no good suggestions. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha oh wait I'm supposed to be mature. Oops.

    ReplyDelete