Friday, September 16, 2011

On building my reputation as the teacher who is not fluffy sprinkles all the time

I am one of two Spanish teachers at my school. The other is from Guadalajara, Mexico and speaks delightful Spanish. I am from Seattle. When I first started working at my school, the students liked that I was American and spoke English without an accent. I believe they also liked that I look nice and sound nice. I am not, in fact, as nice as my colleague, Mrs. P. I make you work. I make you be appropriate. I make you be nice to your neighbor even if he or she is super annoying. I make you stay after class if you've wasted my time. I've been trying to convince the students of this fact for four years. They ask me, "Why does Mrs. P's class get to eat tacos today?" and I respond, "Because she's nicer than I am." They are finally starting to believe that I am not the sweet, easy to manipulate, youthful and naive person I appear to be.

Overheard in the hallway:
"Mrs. S's room is closer."
"Yeah, but Mrs. P is nicer."

Darn right, she is!

On a somewhat related note, a mother came by to see me this afternoon. We've chatted two or three times face to face (she is the mother of my student with autism). Today, she walked in and almost turned around. "Oh! I almost didn't recognize you! You are so young, I thought you were a student." I thought I was past that! Maybe I can't wear jeans to work after all.


1 comment:

  1. haha...you are pretty much a badass. i would have been your teachers pet.

    ReplyDelete