Saturday, September 10, 2011

First Impressions

The exhaustion of the first week is starting to overpower the adrenaline. I have very few solid memories of the last three days, probably because as soon as the bell rings my teacher persona clicks on, and I just go. I'm left with only some impressions. My first year classes are undisciplined. It will take a while to show them how to be students. The freshmen are especially rowdy and immature. Overall, they want to learn and do well. I think most of them think Spanish will be fun. My second year classes are nervious about the year. Some of them know they should retake first year, but are too embarrased to do anything about it. I have a student with autism for the fist time. The other students haven't decided how to respond to him yet, so I need to find the class social leaders and pull them aside to talk to them about how they can influence their classmates for good.
At the fall sports assembly, I watched all the football players line up, proud in their uniform and their status. I was suddenly filled with compassion. These are my toughest students. The ones who don't shut up, who are mean to their classmates, who give up before they try, whose need for attention is never sated. I think Jesus gave me an understanding of what he meant by having compassion on the crowds because they are like sheep without a shepherd. These are the boys who want so much to be men, but don't have any comcept of what that means or how to get there. These are the students who, when asked what I should know about them as students, responded:
I learn slower than other kids.
I'm annoying, and if angry will talk back.
I'm a slow learner
I can't speak in front of the class.
Those labels must run deep for them to write it as information for a stranger. Or the student who wrote, "I have a short temper and I'll respect you as long as you resepct me." How do you teach a young man to have enough respect for himself that it doesn't matter if people respect him? I will respect you regardless of your behavior or attitude. I hope you receive the respect I offer and don't misinterpret it as anything less than it is.
But there are plenty of these as well:
I'm quiet but funny.
I wanna try hard.
I am trustworthy and will always give my best.

Being a teacher can be a lot to live up to.

No comments:

Post a Comment