Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Names: how to be cruel to your children forever

I've been looking at lists of baby names recently and decided this game is hard.  I want a name that is meaningful, difficult to mock, goes with my last name without sounding stupid, and is unique but not weird.  That's a lot to think about.  Mostly, we've come up with joke lists of names we'd never actually name our children (Crusher came from one of these lists).  Hercules, Vader, Jezebel, Hammer, Mousse, Influenza, etc.  You try!  See, it's a fun game!

Today, I started reading other people's comments about name lists.  Here are some of their suggestions from the literary list:

Piggy
Ariel (for a boy)
Cullen
Jekyl
Gandalf
Peeta
Stark
Bufffy
Swayzee
Xena
Cloud
Squall

And one I'm considering telling people just for kicks:  Sloane


I can't judge, really, because they might be joking.  They might be 13 years old.  They might want their children to be mocked to build character.  But seriously, people!  For your children's sake!

3 comments:

  1. Haha, I'm so relating to this name game...and that whole first paragraph about what you want in a name. I love nameberry.com and you must check it out. Subscribe to their blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No worries Mary working in the hospital you come across some real winners like naming your daughter (first name) Princess or naming your son Ebenezer. Or running out of ideas and using the first 5 letters of the alphabet Abcde for a baby girl. I have seen it all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We decided to be okay with weird; to each their own!

    I miss you and I'm excited for you!!!

    ReplyDelete